Established in 2006, Sheffield Music Academy provides specialist training for 144 musicians aged 6-18 who show outstanding ability and potential.
The Academy’s drive is to inspire excellence so that students can develop their talent, grow in confidence, achieve fulfilment through performance and in turn make positive contributions to the musical activities of their schools and communities. As one of only 15 Centres for Advanced Training, in the UK we are funded by the Department for Education's Music & Dance Scheme which offers means-tested bursaries to families. We're also supported by smaller trusts, donors and sponsors to increase bursary numbers and offer instruments for tuition.
Based at Birkdale School, SMA:
• provides students with a tailored timetable including 1:1 and group tuition on 30 Saturdays during term time
• employs expert tutors across all disciplines who travel across the UK each week
• provides students with over 40 public performance opportunities in a variety of regional venues, regular Saturday lunchtime recitals and participation in regional music festivals
• hosts specialist master classes and intensive ensemble training led by experts in diverse disciplines
• participates in external workshops that enable students to benefit from our close partnerships with local and national organisations
Places are open to all, with a primary focus on dedication to music at auditions which take place in March each year.
OVER 40 PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES EVERY YEAR.
We offer students over 40 performance opportunities a year as well as the very best in specialist master-classes, workshops and expert tuition. Sheffield Music Academy supports students looking to musically develop, grow in self-confidence, and maximise their natural talent and passion for music with like minded individuals, in a friendly, lively and welcoming atmosphere.
How to Apply
Click below to get started with your application. No formal qualifications are required to apply and we welcome applications from young musicians at all stages of learning as long as they bring passion, enthusiasm and dedication with them.
Want to keep in touch?
Receive updates via email of our upcoming events & latest news
"The Sheffield Music Academy allows me to share my interest in music with other people in a way that I can’t at school."
"It is great to be surrounded by like-minded people and to make music together. I have the opportunity to lead the orchestra at concerts in front of hundreds of people. We strive to make every performance our best yet". - Nazar